Jim Matson and I derive much satisfaction from serving the NCAA Division III soccer community throughout the season. On Thanksgiving, it is appropriate to share that we are thankful to be part of this community, and we appreciate all the relationships that we have enjoyed over the past decade. Though our lives seem to get more complicated every year with career and family commitments and responsibilities among other involvements increasingly leaving us with less and less time to invest in the website, we remain grateful for the opportunity to provide a home on the internet for D-III soccer.
This year, we at D3soccer.com are thankful for . . .
• Another season (the website's 11th) serving the Division III soccer community.
• Our behind-the-scenes "silent" partner who took on a larger role this year (probably the biggest workload of anyone), without whom the website would not have been able to continue for another season.
• All our columnists—Ryan Harmanis, Mani Tafari, Henry Loughlin as well as the anonymous contributors—for providing our website with original content on an unpaid, volunteer basis. Our NCAA tournament coverage also depends on them for Sectional and Final Four previews.
• The three new volunteer copy editors who joined our team this year and did a great job making our columnists look even better and reducing our workload. It was only due to their emergence that we did not have to cancel one (or more) of our columns.
• The coaches and SID’s who make up our men’s and women’s Top 25 panels and allow us to provide an alternate perspective on how the top teams across the nation stack up. We appreciate their commitment to the cause despite very busy schedules.
• The Sports Information Directors who are supportive of our website in a variety of ways including providing links to our website on their websites and using/referencing our Top 25 rankings. We are especially thankful for the SID’s who input their teams’ matches and, later, results in the Presto Sports system (that D3soccer.com uses) even though their athletics websites are on a different platform.
• The men’s and women’s student-athletes who with dedication and love for the game impress us with their skill on the field and provide a great source of enjoyment (and pride) for family, friends, fellow students and alumni, etc.
• The dedicated, caring coaches who not only drive their teams to improve and achieve on-field success, but mentor and teach their players to become better people, not just better players.
• Division III soccer fans—former players, fellow students, alumni, family, friends, etc. D3soccer.com exists for them as much as anybody. We are very appreciative for their patronage.
• Our families that put up with us (or the lack of us) during the soccer season each year. We cherish their love and support and all the smiles they bring to our faces.
* * * * * *
For all of you who follow soccer through our work at D3soccer.com, we are thankful for you hanging with us, for your readership, and for your comments. Have a great Thanksgiving!
Comments or feedback for the author? Email Christan Shirk.