November 19, 2011

Wheaton women, Ohio Wesleyan, Calvin men are Texas-bound!

In addition to the third round action on Saturday, there were three quarterfinal matches on Saturday evening. Adding to the nerves from Saturday's collection of upsets, these quarterfinal contests are the last door to the final four in San Antonio. So the heightened sense of urgency is an obvious factor in these evening tilts.

Would three goals in less than three minutes be an example of urgency? More on that later. In the meantime, check out our Tournament Central page for everything you'd want to know about the NCAA post-season tournament.

Senior Travis Wall had the game winning goal against Hope Photo by Sara Blake 

The Calvin Knights defeated Texas-Tyler 3-2 in double overtime in a late match in Redlands, CA. Junior Trevor Bushhouse scored the gamewinner in the 101st minute off a corner kick by junior Chris Nance. Calvin will face the winner of the Oneonta State/Rutgers-Camden quarterfinal in San Antonio.

At Ohio Wesleyan University, the sixth-ranked Bishops continued their march to the final four with Coach Jay Martin collecting win number 606 in defeating a strong Hope College team 2-1.

The Bishops started the scoring early with a goal from freshman Colton Bloecher in just the second minute. Colton nailed a shot from 22 yards out for the lead. After the period ended at 1-0, the Bishops added second goal in the 52nd minute, again early in the period, when senior Travis Wall headed in a corner kick from junior Kit North and sophomore Matt Shadoan.

Hope continued to apply pressure, and attempted 13 shots to Ohio Wesleyan's 5 in the second frame. But junior keeper Paul Hendricks collected three saves to keep Hope off the board. But the Dutchmen finally got through when sophomore Nicholas Heyboer flicked on a header from senior keeper Logan Neil's restart at midfield.

The goal was too little too late for the Dutchmen as that was all they could muster in the closing minutes. The Bishops outshot the Dutchmen 17-15, but were 8-9 in corner kicks. Hope finishes an impressive run to the Elite 8 at 17-5-4, while Ohio Wesleyan will face the winner of the Montclair State/Stevens quarterfinal contest in the national semifinals in San Antonio, Texas on December 2.

At Wheaton, the eighth-ranked Thunder faced off against UAA foe and rival No. 13 Washington University. And after a match that featured a mind-blowing three goals in two minutes and 20 seconds, Wheaton came away with a hard fought 4-2 victory over the Bears, and a sixth trip the national semifinals.

Kaitlyn Le Baudour scored twice for Wheaton in their win over Washington U Photo by Ryan Coleman,

In a match filled with surprises, the Bears grabbed the chance to shock the home crowd with a goal in just the first 24 seconds for the quick 1-0 lead. This was the only time that Wheaton had been behind in the post-season thus far, and only the second time in the 2011 season. Sophomore Jessica Johnson took advantage of the opportunity and created confusion for Wheaton with the long ball on goal.

The balance of the half was give and take; Wheaton led Wash U 8-6 in shots, but the more aggressive play of the Bears created opportunities in the Thunder third of the field. After the half, the Bears continued their pressure on the Wheaton defense, finding more success in the 59th minute as freshman Lillie Toaspern took an 18 yard shot that went up and over the Wheaton keeper, giving the Bears a 2-0 lead.

Moving with the wind, and playing with desparation, the Thunder began to slowly take control of the match. After moving their sweeper, senior Kaitlyn Le Baudour up front and changing out the keeper with just 23 minutes to play, Wheaton finally got on the board with a Le Baudour header off junior Val Lelle's cross.

The match took a violently different direction after the Le Baudour goal.

Within a minute, the new found Thunder momentum continued as senior Jaime Orewiler sent in another cross and again, Le Bauduor was there for the header. And just one minute and 20 seconds later, junior Keri Shannon launched a 15 yard shot high for the gamewinning goal.

In less than three minutes, the 2-0 Wash U lead turned into a 3-2 Wheaton lead.

Washington turned up the pressure in the final minutes, but against the wind and against the surprising momentum of an attacking Wheaton side, the Bears could not get the equalizer. In the 85th minute, Orewiler finished the comeback with a 12 yard shot that found the back netting. On the goal, senior Erin Strom started the play with a pass to freshman Anna Seabolt, who found an open Orewiler 20 yards out.

A stunned Washington University side ends their season in the Elite 8, but a season with a record 18 wins is not a season to be ignored, especially with such a young squad.

With the win, Wheaton moves onto the national semifinals to face the winner of the Cortland State/Ithaca College contest on Sunday. 

No contests today.
No contests today.
No contests today.