Video | Live stats | Recap | Box Score

November 5, 2013

Wheaton (Ill.) ties North Park 1-1; advances with shootout victory

More news about: Wheaton (Ill.) men's team

Wheaton, Ill.- Everything was different and yet the same on Tuesday night at Joe Bean Stadium. After defeating the North Park Vikings 1-0 on Friday night, the Thunder men's soccer team welcomed the Vikings (11-5-3) back for Tuesday night's CCIW Tournament Semifinal matchup. Again the teams reached halftime scoreless before the script changed drastically in the second half. Eight second half cards were presented including a red card against both teams leaving  the final 36 minutes of the match to be played with ten players to a side. Having previously been man-down, the Thunder (15-3-2) rallied in the final minutes of regulation to tie the match at 1-1 and then converted on all five shootout kicks to advance to Saturday's CCIW Tournament Championship match with a 5-3 victory in the shootout.

Derek Babb

Wheaton outshot the Vikings 17-13 in the match and both teams managed five corner kicks. Derek Babb (PICTURED LEFT) allowed one goal and made one save in 110 minutes. North Park's Wesley Woodley also allowed a goal but made four saves.

Tuesday's matchup featured a much more evenly matched first half than the initial match-up yet the score was scoreless at half again. Wheaton held just a 6-4 advantage in shots in the half and had the half's premier scoring opportunity. In the 27th minute, Stephen Golz found a loose ball in the box at his feet but sailed the ball just over the crossbar of the open goal.

Physical play became more prevalent in the second half and Wheaton suffered the first blow when Marshall Hollingsworth picked up two yellow cards in the span of 14 seconds, forcing Wheaton to play man-down. Noah Anthony picked up a caution in the same altercation. Seven minutes later, the Vikings capitalized on their advantage, when Jonas Pettersson scored on a loose ball in front of the net off a Viking corner kick to give the Vikings a 1-0 lead at the 62:12 mark.

Jordan Golz

The playing field leveled once again 12 minutes later when North Park's Carl Damberg picked up his second yellow card resulting in North Park having to with ten men as well. Wheaton pushed forward trying to level the score as well and finally picked up the equalizer in the final minutes of regulation. In the 88th minute, Wheaton was awarded a free kick 30 yards off the end line. Anthony's free kick found Jordan Golz (PICTURED RIGHT)in the box and Golz turned to deposit the ball inside the left post and tie the score at 1-1 at 87:12.

After two wide open overtime periods failed to produce a goal, the teams ended in a tie and headed to a penalty shootout. Adam Blackman and Jonas Pettersson traded successful kicks in the first frame and Noah Anthony and Johan Gustafsson did the same in the second. Elliot Borge was successful with his kick before Derek Babb gave Wheaton the edge with a diving save of Pedram Tahmi-Masoleh's attempt to give Wheaton a 3-2 advantage. Kevin Skinker and Fredrik Greiff were both successful in the fourth frame but Matt Hussey sealed the win for the Thunder with his successful kick in the fifth frame to give Wheaton the 5-3 shootout victory.

Wheaton advances to play the winner of Wednesday's Carthage-Elmhurst match on Saturday at Joe Bean Stadium. The start time for that match is yet to be announced.

No contests today.
No contests today.
No contests today.