Seye & Vazquez Lead RIC Past BSU, 2-1
Providence, R.I.--The Rhode Island College men's soccer team earned its first win of the season with a hard fought, 2-1, victory over Bridgewater State at Alumni Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 2, Bridgewater State 1
(Bridgewater State 1-3)
(Rhode Island College 1-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The two teams battled through a scoreless first half with both teams narrowly missing scoring chances. Bridgewater State held a 9-4 advantage in shots for the first half.
• Bridgewater State broke the scoreless tie in the 49th minute when freshman forward Kevin Roberts (Medway, MA) started a breakaway down the right side of the field and fed a pass to junior forward Filipe Gomes (Fogo, Cape Verde) to put a shot into the back of the net.
• RIC answered less than a minute later when senior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) played a pass to the top of the box to junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI). Vazquez then slid a shot just inside the near post to knot the game, 1-1, at the 49:06 mark. It was Vazquez's second marker of the season.
• The Anchormen had a throw in from senior midfielder Ty Catunto (New Bedford, MA) in the 53rd minute. After the pass deflected off a BSU defender, RIC senior defender Elimane Seye (Providence, RI) then headed in a shot from five yards for his first of the season.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Freshman Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (1-2-1) had seven saves in the win for RIC, while sophomore Nate Morgado (Dartmouth, MA) (1-3) recorded four stops for the visitors.
• Bridgewater State notched a 15-12 advantage in shots and held a 4-1 margin in corner kicks for the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open Little East Conference play at Eastern Connecticut on Saturday, Sept. 16 (Noon).