Flahive double gets #12/21 Brandeis men past MMA, 3-0
WALTHAM, Mass. – Brandeis University senior Patrick Flahive (Chatham, Ill./Worcester Academy) registered his first career two-goal game today as the Judges defeated Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 3-0, on a humid night on Gordon Field. With the win, the Judges, ranked No. 12 nationally in Division III by the United Soccer Coaches and No. 21 by D3soccer.com, improve to 5-1 on the season. The Buccaneers fall to 2-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Flahive provided the game-winning goal in the 11th minute. After senior Josh Ocel (North Attleboro, Mass./Worcester Academy) dribbled into the box, he sent a cross through the goalie box. Sophomore Dylan Hennessey (New York, N.Y./Northfield Mount Hermon) made a nice play to let it go past, drawing the defense and goalie and leaving a wide-open net for Flahive to shoot into.
- The Judges outshot MMA, 13-2, in the first half, but were unable to find insurance until the 60th minute.
- Sophomore Jake Warren (Medway, Mass./Medway) chased down a ball on the left sideline, then rifled a cross into the goal mouth. Senior Mike Lynch (Weymouth, Mass./Weymouth) dove and headed it home to make it 2-0.
- Flahive added the third goal of the night when he converted a penalty kick in the 87th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges finished with a 22-6 edge in shots and 5-0 in corner kicks.
- MMA senoior Mike Pruchnik (Rochester, Mass./Old Rochester) had eight saves in the losing effort.
- Brandeis senior Ben Woodhouse (Suffield, Conn./Suffield) made two saves in the team's second-straight shutout.
- The game-winning goal was Flahive's sixth of his career.
- Ocel's assist early in the game was his fifth of the season and the 39th of his career. He is within five of the Judges' career record, held by Rob Muller '77.
- In a showdown of NCAA tournament semifinalists from a year ago, Brandeis heads to Medford, Mass., on Friday evening for a showdown with defending national champions Tufts.
- The Jumbos are ranked No. 3 by the United Soccer Coaches and No. 5 by D3Soccer.com.
- Mass Maritime hosts Salem State Friday at 3:30 in a MASCAC contest.