Spivack nets game-winner for #13 Brandeis women in 2-0 UAA win at Case
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Brandeis University women's soccer team picked up their first University Athletic Association (UAA) victory of the season today, scoring twice in the first half at Case Western Reserve and making the lead stand up as they defeated the Spartans, 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges got all the scoring they would need in the sixth minute, when sophomore forward Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) found senior midfielder Alec Spivack (Miami, Fla./Miami Palmetto) open at the edge of the 18-yard box. Spivack put the game's first shot on frame in the back of the net.
- Brandeis scored on their second shot on goal as well, when junior forward Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chaparral) headed home a corner from senior midfielder Holly Szafran (Homewood, Ala./Newton North (Mass.)
- The Brandeis defense was outstanding as usual, holding the Spartans without a shot on goal until the 89th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The game-winning goal scored by Spivack was the second of her career and first since 2012. It was her fourth career goal overall and second of the season.
- McDaniel's goal was her team-leading sixth of the campaign. She now ranks second in the UAA in goals and tied for second in points (14).
- Szafran moved into a four-way tie for seventh on Brandeis's career assist list with her 16th helper. With three this season, she ties her freshman and sophomore mark, with seven assists as a junior.
- Junior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) made one save and is now tied for the UAA lead in wins with 10 and is second with a 0.34 goals-against average.
- Case's Megan Romelfanger had five stops in the losing effort, but it marked the first time she had allowed more than one goal in a game all season.
- The game marked the fifth time this season the Judges have scored in the first 10 minutes of a game.
- It was the team's ninth shutout of the campaign and the sixth in which they held an opponent to one or fewer shots on net.
- Brandeis improves to 11-1-1, 1-1 in the UAA
- The Judges are ranked #11 in Division III by the NSCAA, #13 by D3soccer.com
- Case falls to 7-3-2, 0-2 UAA. The Spartans had knocked off #8 Denison earlier in the week.
- Brandeis improved to 15-8-4 against CWRU, including a three-match winning streak.
- The Judges return home for a Homecoming UAA weekend. They take on the University of Chicago on Friday afternoon at 4 p.m. and #7 Washington U. on Sunday at 11 a.m.