8th ranked Brandeis women extend unbeaten streak to 12 with 2-0 win over Lesley
WALTHAM, Massachusetts — Junior Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) scored a goal in each half tonight to lead the eighth-ranked Brandeis University women's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over visiting Lesley University on Gordon Field. With the win, the Judges extend the best start in school history to 12 unbeaten games at 11-0-1, while the Lynx fall to 7-4-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schwartz got all the scoring the Judges would need in the 20th minute.
- Classmate Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) slipped the ball through the defense to Schwartz about 25 yards from goal.
- Schwartz dribbled through the left of the box and shot back towards the right to beat Lesley keeper Lilly Donovan (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport).
- In the 56th minute, senior Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chaparral) made a nice move on the end line to dispossess and shake free of a defender.
- McDaniel found Schwartz at the corner of the six-yard box, where she turned and fired a shot through a screen and by Donovan.
- The two-goal performance was Schwartz's second of the season and the third of her career, while the game-winning goal was her second this year and the eighth of her college career.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Lesley, 14-3, for the game, including 10-1 in shots on goal.
- Judge senior Alexis Grossman (Sysosset, N.Y./Syosset) made one save to record her 27th career win and 18th career shutout.
- Grossman moves into a tie for third with Natasha Pieciak '05 on the career shutout list, five behind the program record. She also moves four back of fourth place on the all-time wins list.
- Lesley's Donovan had eight saves in the losing effort.
BRANDEIS'S HOT START
- At 11-0-1, the Judges are off to the best 12-game start in school history.
- Their 12-game unbeaten streak is their longest since winning 12 in a row after dropping the 2014 opener.
- Nine of the Judges' 11 wins have come by shutout. The school record is 14, set in 2012.
- Brandeis returns to University Athletic Association play on Saturday at 11 a.m. against Case Western Reserve University as part of the University's Homecoming Weekend.
- Lesley meets Bay Path in a New England Collegiate Conference matchup Saturday at 2 p.m.