Recap | Recap | Box Score

September 13, 2017

No. 8 Warhawks Use Second Half Surge to Tie Concordia

MEQUON, Wis. – The No. 8 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater women's soccer team used two second half goals to come from behind and tie Concordia-Wisconsin 2-2 in double-overtime Wednesday in Mequon.
As part of their game plan, UW-W came out of the gates quickly, firing a shot on goal less than a minute into the match. The shot, by Devon Polk (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's), was stopped by Falcon keeper Tabitha Ortiz.
UW-W tallied three shots and two corners before CUW could mount a solid offensive attack.
Nina Yonan (Skokie, Ill./Niles North), making her first start of the season, was tested by a Falcon shot in the 13th minute but was able to make the save.
After several substitutions for both teams, Concordia was able to put together an attack. Ashley Johnson found Nicole Ciesielczyk her first goal of the season and a 1-0 Falcon lead.
With less than three minutes to go before the half, Kayla Schlosser ripped a shot from 25-yards out that found the top left corner of the goal and gave Concordia a 2-0 lead at the half.
Facing a two goal deficit, the Warhawks went to work. Karina Rosales (Batavia, Ill./Batavia)Mackenzie Serbousek (Cedar Rapids, Iowa/Cedar Rapids Prairie) and Marie Lesperance (Waukesha, Wis./Waukesha South) all put quality shots on goal in the first five minutes of the half.
UW-W halved the Falcon lead in the 52nd minute when Rosales sent a cross from the left side of the field and Anna Boyd (De Pere, Wis./De Pere) knocked it in for her second goal of the season.
The Warhawks continued to pepper the Concordia defense with shots until they finally broke through again in the 71st minute. This time Morgan Beaty (DeKalb, Ill./DeKalb) sent a pass into the box that Rosales pushed past the keeper to tie the match.
Sara Klimisch (Pleasant Prairie, Wis./Indian Trail High School and Academy) took over for Yonan in goal after halftime and made one second half save to help force overtime.
In the first overtime period both teams had chances but could not capitalize.
The second overtime got a bit more intense as the teams totaled eight shots compared to two in the first overtime. Serbousek had the best chance for the Warhawks but her shot was stopped by Ortiz. The Falcons had two shots hit posts and another shot stopped by Klimisch.
The Warhawks, 3-0-2, played in a nearly identical game at Loras last week, relinquishing two first half goals only to come from behind and earn a tie.
Up next the Warhawks will host the "W" Challenge on Saturday and Sunday at Fiskum Field in Whitewater. Saturday the Warhawks will play Wittenberg at 12:30 p.m. followed by a match between No. 1 Washington-St. Louis and Illinois Wesleyan. Saturday's results will determine Sunday's schedule.

No contests today.
No contests today.
No contests today.