JHU Defeats Virginia Wesleyan, 3-0
• Score: Hopkins – 3 • Virginia Wesleyan - 0
• Records: #6 Johns Hopkins (3-1-0) • #24 Virginia Wesleyan (2-2-0)
• Location: Newport News, VA (Christopher Newport)
• The Short Story: With goals from freshmen Rachel Jackson and Natalie Farrell and a shutout performance in net by freshman Caitlin Hendricks the Johns Hopkins women's soccer team defeated Virginia Wesleyan, 3-0, on Friday night at the Captain's Classic.
How it Happened
• With a few minutes remaining in a scoreless first half, Jackson placed a beautiful volley pass to Farrell whose shot hit off the crossbar and into the back of the net at 43:27.
• Riley O'Toole sent a pass to Jackson who got past the Marlins' defense and put the ball right past goalkeeper, Tristen Roberts, at 48:17 to put the Blue Jays up 2-0.
• Jackson netted her second goal of the evening at 51:46 as she beat her defender in the box and got the ball past Roberts once again as the Blue Jays went on to claim the 3-0 victory.
What it Means
• Hopkins is now 2-1-1 all-time against the Marlins.
Inside the Box Score
• With her five points in the game, Jackson now has a team-high ten on the year. Her four goals are tied for the team lead and her two assists are tops on the team. She also leads the Centennial in points and is tied for the lead in goals.
• The goal by Farrell was her first collegiate goal.
• Hendricks notched her second shutout victory of the year as she improves to 2-0 this season.
• The Blue Jays will have tomorrow off before returning to action on Sunday, September 9th to take on #17 Christopher Newport at 2 pm.
- 30 -