October 7, 2012

Duhawks knock off #2 Trinity in double overtime

More news about: Loras women's team

After a near-perfect start and heroic finish, the Loras college women's soccer team knocked of the second-ranked Tigers from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas on Sunday afternoon. After the Tigers tangled with Wheaton College on Friday and the Duhawks hosted IIAC foe Central on Saturday, the two teams met in Wheaton, Illinois for a 1:00 PM kickoff. 

Just 70 seconds into the match, Kristina Everding sprang Katie Truesdale on a long pass at the heart of the Tiger defense. Truesdale navigated the rush of Katie Garrett to tuck a low left-footed shot into the net for a 1-0 lead.

Over the next 20 minutes, the teams tried to grab a hold of the flow of play. Hannah Wilson made one save and the Tigers offered four other shots during that stretch. In the 27th minute, Hillary Wilson took a pass and ripped a low shot that forced a diving save from Garrett to preserve the 1-0 lead. The ensuing series of corner kicks led to Wilson's assist of a Lynn DeVriese header in traffic, doubling the lead.

DeVriese's goal was her team high tenth of 2012.

The Tigers built an 8-5 shot advantage in the second 45 minutes and netted goals in the 57th and 70th minute. Stephanie Sogovia was on the doorstep with just goalkeeper Marykate Halm to beat for the Tiger's first goal. Emily Jorgens forced a ball out of traffic in the corner of the Loras 18-yard box and around an on-rushing Halm where Shelby Guenthardt tucked a second ball into the Duhawks' goal.

Hannah Wilson returned to goal for Loras in the final 20 minutes and made one save. Garrett was credited with two during the same stretch.

The Tigers took control of the first overtime, but Wilson was equal to the task, stopping three shots. Katie Truesdale made an aggressive run at the Tigers' goal in search of a game-winner but wasn't able to put a shot on goal as Garrett and her defender sandwiched the freshman.

Hannah started the second overtime with another save, and then five minutes later sister Hillary sent Truesdale on another run into the Trinity 18-yard box. That's where Truesdale was sent to the turf in the 108th minute by her defender. The referee signaled for a penalty kick and Truesdale stepped to the spot for the potential game-winner. Truesdale obliged with her second goal of the game, fourth game-winner of 2012, and her third overtime game-winner of her first season in the purple and gold.

Trinity's loss was their first in 45 regular season games.

The win moved Loras to 11-4. This week the Duhawks will be at Coe midweek and home for Senior Day against Wartburg on Saturday.