Groff Powers No. 11 MIT to 7-0 Win Over Worcester State
- Score: No. 11 MIT 7, Worcester State University 0
- Records: No. 11 MIT (8-1-2); Worcester State University (3-5-2)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: Powered by four goals by sophomore Karenna Groff (Weston, Mass.), the No. 11 ranked MIT women's soccer team defeated Worcester State University, 7-0, in a non-conference matchup in Cambridge this afternoon.
- 12th minute (11:05) - Groff gave MIT a 1-0 advantage and scored her sixth goal of the season after she drove past the Worcester State defenders and finished her shot into the top right corner of the net.
- 13th minute (12:31) - Just over a minute later, Groff ripped a shot off a cross from senior Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) for the 2-0 lead.
- 18th minute (17:43) - Reilly went 1-on-1 with a defender from Worcester State and pushed the ball past Lancer keeper Tori Socci to give MIT a 3-0 lead on her third goal of the year.
- 48th minute (47:55) - As she did in the first half, Groff started the scoring in the second half as she blasted a shot above the outstretched hands of Ashley Spellman to complete her second career hat trick.
- 52nd minute (51:56) - Groff tied a single match program record with her fourth goal of the game and ninth of the season.
- 59th minute (58:18) - Junior Maya Nielan (Danville, Calif.) notched her first goal of the year after she headed the ball into the left side of the net off a corner kick from senior Emily Berzolla (Riverside, Conn.).
- 82nd minute (81:22) - First-year Kayla Villa (St. Charles, Ill.) lined up for a corner kick and curled the ball into the top left corner of the net for her first collegiate goal and MIT's seventh of the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- For the second straight week, MIT was ranked 11th in the United Soccer Coaches Division III National Poll and 12th in the D3Soccer.com National Poll.
- The 7-0 shutout win extended MIT's shutout streak to eight and extended the Engineers unbeaten streak at home to 43 straight matches. MIT now has not allowed a goal in 804:25 consecutive minutes of action.
- MIT first-year keeper Ava Gillikin (Flemington, N.J.) remained perfect in net as she made two saves and moved to 6-0-2 this fall by playing the opening 45 minutes of action for the Engineers. Riley Terando (Folsom, Calif.) played the second half for MIT but did not have to make a save.
- Groff's four goals today tied a single match record for MIT as three previous Engineers accomplished this feat. The last student-athlete to score four goals for MIT was Amy Ludlum on September 11, 2007 against UMass Dartmouth.
- MIT held a 31-4 advantage in shots and a 9-2 margin in corner kicks in today's non-conference match. The Engineers, who defeated the Lancers for 7-0 for the second straight season tonight, improved to 10-4-0 all-time against Worcester State as the series dates back to 2006.
- MIT returns to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action on Saturday, October 5 with a road match at Clark University which is slated to begin at 3:30 pm in Worcester.
For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.