All Six Seniors Score for #15 R-MC Women’s Soccer vs. HU
ASHLAND, Va. – On Senior Day, all six Yellow Jacket seniors scored goals as the 15th-ranked Randolph-Macon women's soccer team moved to 16-0-0 with a 9-0 ODAC victory over Hollins on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 9, Hollins 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 16-0, 8-0 ODAC; Hollins 4-10-0, 1-7-0 ODAC
How it Happened:
- Senior forward Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) started the scoring in the seventh minute, finishing a pass from sophomore midfielder Erin Lee (Smithfield, Va./Smithfield). Nelson entered the game leading the ODAC in scoring with 19 goals, the 10th highest total in the nation. R-MC was awarded a penalty kick in the 13th minute, and senior goalkeeper Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) beat the HU keeper to give the home team a 2-0 advantage. Freshman defender Olivia Adams (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) scored her first goal of the season in the 29th minute on a pass from sophomore forward Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) as the Yellow Jackets went up 3-0. Nelson netted her second goal of the match and her 21st of the season in the 30th minute as R-MC led 4-0 at the break.
- An own goal by HU in the 54th minute extended the R-MC lead to 5-0. Senior midfielder Abbie Winkelmann (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) tallied a goal in the 59th minute as the Yellow Jackets went up 6-0. Senior midfielder Ellis Mumford (Glen Allen, Va./Trinity) put the ball just inside the far post in the 61st minute for her first collegiate goal on an assist by freshman forward Shelley Winebarger (Fredericksburg, Va./Riverbend) to make it 7-0. Senior defender Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) scored on a penalty kick in the 63rd minute as the score rose to 8-0. Senior defender Madi Powell (Wake Forest, N.C./Cosby) capped the scoring for the seniors and for the Yellow Jackets in the 78th minute on an assist by sophomore midfielder Callie Courtalis (Bel Air, Md./The John Carroll School) to make the final score 9-0. It was the first goal of the season and second of her career for Powell.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC had 65 shots, including 29 shots on goal. Nineteen different Yellow Jackets had shots, led by Powell with nine. Silva and junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) both had seven shots.
- The Yellow Jacket defense, led by starters Powell, Silva, Adams and sophomore Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla./Maclay School) held HU without a shot and without a corner kick.
For The Record:
- The Yellow Jackets remained in first place in the ODAC with an 8-0 conference record and 24 points. Washington and Lee is second with a 7-0-1 conference mark and 22 points.
- R-MC added to its program record for most wins to start a season at 16. The Yellow Jackets also set a program mark for most consecutive wins in a single season.
- R-MC is ranked #5 in the initial NCAA South Atlantic regional ranking: 1) TCNJ 12-1-0, 2) Christopher Newport 13-1-2, 3) Centre 17-0-0, 4) Emory 9-4-0, 5) Randolph-Macon 14-0-0, 6) Roanoke 11-3-1, 7) Montclair State 10-4-2, 8) Lynchburg 9-4-1
- Randolph-Macon will host Eastern Mennonite on Wednesday, Oct. 30 at 6:30 p.m. in an ODAC contest on the R-MC Soccer Field.